Report on Pilot Project Human Rights Due Diligence and COVID-19: A Rapid Self-Assessment for Business (C-19 RSAB)

Report on Pilot Project Human Rights Due Diligence and COVID-19:  A Rapid Self-Assessment for Business (C-19 RSAB)

UNDP and FIHRRST have carried out a pilot project of Human Rights Due Diligence and COVID-19: Rapid Self-Assessment for Business (C-19 RSAB) implementation by companies in Indonesia.  The C-19 RSAB consists of recommended actions for six areas namely, occupational health and safety, labor rights, environmental and community effects, safeguarding policy, preventing stigma and discrimination, and corporate policy and management considerations. Twelve companies participated in the pilot project.

 

Following the pilot project completion, FIHRRST prepared a report that presents the background, objectives, methods and the results of the pilot project.

There are five issues that have been assessed throughout this pilot project. Regarding occupational “Occupational Health and Safety,” all companies have indicated that they took preventive measures to reduce the spread of Covid-19 according to the Law No.1/1970 on Work Safety and Government Regulation No. 30/2012 on Management System Implementation on Occupational Health and Safety. In the “Labor Rights” area, 83% of the companies that participated have plans to ensure that their workers are not dismissed without compensation. While the remaining 17% of companies have not established plans to avoid termination during the COVID-19 outbreak. Notably, all companies pay their employees when they are unable to work. Despite the rigorous procedures that have been established to ensure that workers recovering from Covid-19 re-enter the workforce safely, these procedures do not consider people with disabilities. 

 

Subsequently in the “Environmental and Community Impact” area, most businesses have actively communicated to employees, business partners, consumers, and the public information about COVID-19 to avoid harmful stereotypes and depict positive and progressive gender portrayals. Regarding “Safeguarding Privacy”, 92% of the companies have developed and implemented policies to protect the privacy of those infected with COVID-19. In the “Corporate Policy and Management Considerations” area, all companies have ensured the viability of their small and medium-sized suppliers and retailers by making their payments on time and or extending credit where appropriate.

 

Apart from it all, there will always be a room for improvement. Results from the C-19 RSAB determined that half of the companies have committed to a human rights policy that stipulates their expectations of personnel, business partners and other parties directly linked to their operations, products, or services. In addition, only 25% of the companies have carried out human rights due diligence to identify, prevent, mitigate, and account for adverse human rights impacts related to COVID-19. Lastly, companies need to pay more attention to their female workers who are also unpaid caregivers. The pilot project shows that only 33% of the participating companies have recognized women as unpaid caregivers and have accommodated their needs with flexible work or part-time work. 


The full report can be accessed here: bit.ly/C19RSAB_Report   

 

 

Sharing :